Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Land of the Free, Home of the Brave!

I swear the older I get, the less predictable I come. I don't know exactly how to explain what I mean by that, but I'll do my best to convey it.

All the news in the last couple of days regarding the demise of Usama Bin Laden has been a bit overwhelming for me. I don't want to say it's bittersweet, because it's definitely much more sweet than bitter.

The way that these United States come together when something monumental happens warms my heart, sends butterflies through my body, and usually even tears to my eyes. Upon hearing that UBL was killed, and that all of our losses on 9/11 had been avenged, I can say that I had all of those feelings. I didn't know anyone who was in New York, DC, or Pennsylvania on that day, but as an American it cut deep. I'll be able to tell you about that day and what I was doing for the rest of my life. Some memories are permanently tattooed into your brain for your entire life, and that's one that'll never be forgotten by me.

Back to Sunday night, when all the losses of 9/11 came back it did make my eyes water. It was the closure that those who were directly impacted might now feel that really got to me. After watching the news, and seeing the elation of those who were reporting the news, or those who were sitting in Citizens Bank ball park in Philadelphia, my stomach did flips. People waving flags, chanting U-S-A U-S-A, crying in the streets. It was a feel good moment for me. Hell, it was a feel good moment for America.

Something didn't feel right though. Still doesn't. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, so I'm not going to sit here and tell you I don't believe it until I see a body. You could flash any carcass up there on the screen that might bear some resemblance to UBL and I wouldn't know the difference.

I think what bothers me is the euphoria that was felt from sea to shining sea after the death of just one person. Perhaps I should take it as more of a symbolic event. I completely and wholeheartedly agree that it was a tremendous milestone to bring closure to what happened 10 years ago come September.

It should not bring an end to the cautiousness and care we've taken over the last 10 years to have concern for ourselves and our nation. Maybe I should give people the benefit of the doubt, and assume that they see UBL's death as an important occurrence, but not the panacea for our worldly problems. As long as we're the land of the free, and the home of the brave, we'll have a target on our backs.

I don't want to sound like I'm super paranoid either. I'm just a big believer in not resting on our laurels.

While I'm on the negative nancy warpath...I'd also like to say that I wish it didn't take some huge event for the nation to come together in such a patriotic display. Thanks to Twitter I felt super informed on Sunday night of all the happenings. One of the people I follow is Mark Herzlich. If you haven't heard his story, click on his name and read the wiki info. Herzlich was retweeting pictures of college campuses around the US where students met up and had patriotic celebrations. It was awe inspiring to see America's youth so passionate and jubilant concerning The United States and our armed forces. Why can't we have that more often? Why does it take usually a negative event to bring us together and let the love for our home shine?

So to clarify my first statement, on not being as predictable as I used to be...10 years ago, I would have been crazy excited that UBL was killed. Had you told me 2 weeks ago that it was going to happen, I would have been stoked. After it actually happened though, while I was happy that some people might feel closure from the 9/11 events, I saw things much more big picture than just the death of one person. Maybe it's maturity (doubtful), maybe it pessimism, who knows...

Okay, off my soap box. Two other things I'd like to cover...

Twitter...If you haven't joined, you should. It's quite a tool in information sharing. You don't even have to follow anyone you know. It is such a great means of finding breaking news, following your favorite band or sports team, or learning about new things. I can guarantee you that if you stick with it long enough to figure out how useful it can be, you'll be hopelessly addicted to it, and check it twice as often as you check your facebook page.

Secondly, I'm going to completely out myself as a wrasslin' fan, but how the heck did Chris Jericho get voted off of Dancing with the Stars? C'mon America, he was nowhere near the worst dancer, and was much more entertaining than any of the others who are left. Pull your head out. That being said, I never watched the show before, and might not watch it again. It was kind of fun tuning in and seeing somebody that I used to follow long ago through his wrasslin' exploits on the national stage...

Haven't been keeping up with this thing as much as I'd hoped. I think about it a lot, just don't open up the computer all that often. Hope all is well with all of you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home