Monday, October 09, 2006

Good Ole' US of A

Well, I'm back. Back to the States, back to Kerrville, back to boredom I guess. I miss Costa Rica dearly right now, but I'm also glad to be home. It's kind of a bittersweet feeling. I had really started to embrace the every day life in Costa Rica. Just how laid back life is, and how friendly the people are. On the other hand though, I missed my Dad, my Dog, and my friends. It's been great getting to see all of them again.

Being in Costa Rica for as long as I was able to be there, was an amazing experience. I can't think of a negative thing to say about the whole trip. I went down and accomplished my goal, complete four weeks of Spanish classes and leave feeling more confident in my speaking abilities. I made a few friends, and perhaps most importantly, had the time of my life.

While I can't say that I'm fluent in Spanish, I have a better grasp on it. I don't have much trouble communicating, and one way or the other can get my point across. I didn't go down there with the intention of coming back fluent though. I realize that's a much longer battle than one month. The teacher told us that if we wanted to be %100 fluent that we would more than likely have to spend around a year down there. I don't think I could handle that much though.

Everything was beautiful down there, and the people were extremely nice and helpful. I left with a great admiration of the country and the Tico people. I also left with a great appreciation of the things we have here in the States. I never had a second thought when leaving the states about not having hot water, water pressure, or other amenities that we all take for granted. The appreciation goes so much further than just those material things, but that's all I can pull of the top of my head right now.

I hope to get the chance to return to Costa Rica someday. There's so much that I would like to do still. I made the most of my time down there, but there's always something else going on. We here in the States have our own beauty, and great features, but it's all so spread out. In Costa Rica, everything is just a couple of hours away. While a four hour bus ride might feel like forever, you find that it is worth the momentary lack of comfort for new experiences you are afforded.

I'm not real sure what's next for the moment. I want to get moving on the new house, and hopefully I can lend a little help to that project. If not help, then at least some motivation.

Cullen signed a five year extension last night with the Vikings. I was hoping he'd move a little closer to home, but five years is a big time extension, and I'm glad he jumped on it when he had the chance!

Glad to be home. I hope I get the chance to see everyone sooner than later! Have a great day...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home