Friday, October 27, 2006

New One

Okay, tired of complaints that I haven't updated enough! Here you go, another boring blog for you folks...

Big weekend! Huge weekend! Not that I have anything at all to do, but it's a big sports weekend. Tonight is game 5 of the World Series. The Cardinals have a 3-1 lead over the Tigers, and in all likelihood will wrap it up. Tomorrow is College Football day. I move that we declare every Saturday in the fall a holiday where the past time is grilling and drinking. Sheesh, that makes me miss the college days. Sunday is NFL Sunday, but I'm not a big NFL fan. My team isn't playing until Primetime Monday night.

I've pretty much distanced myself from this World Series. Actually I've distanced myself from the entire playoffs this year. After the Astros got me all excited the last two years, I was more than let down this year when they failed to make the playoffs. They made it exciting in the last couple of weeks though. For that I say thanks! There's always next year!

Now back to the World Series. Who is my horse in the race? I'm not so much the bandwagon fan, so I can't jump right on to the Card's ship. I have pseudo ties with each one of these teams, so I'll have to use some kind of deductive reasoning to pick who's my team...

Major League baseball, no not the type in the midst of the World Series, but the Little League type for 11 and 12 year olds. For those 2 wonderful years of my life, I played for the Cardinals. The striving city of Ingram was able to field 4 teams at that age. The Dodgers, the A's, (If I remember correctly) the Pirates, and the Cardinals. The Cardinals were the lovable losers of the league, but they did have that perennial All-Star of a First Baseman.<--I'm the guy...We had authentic caps, not authentic jerseys, but I still wore the cap with pride. Since then I've had a bit of a connection with the team. Plus the fact I think Albert Pujols is the type of athlete that comes along once in a lifetime. The best thing about him, is his personality is built to the model of Tim Duncan. He's the best at what he does, he knows it, but he won't tell you that. It's hard to dislike the Cardinals, they like the Astros, seem to be a team full of good ole' boys. You don't hear about any of those prima donnas that are on some of the other teams (Bonds, Manny, Pedro).

I remember when I was young I watched episode after episode of Magnum PI with my Mom. I don't remember what any of them were about, but I remembered the theme music, and Tom Sellek's affection for anything Detroit. On the majority of the shows he'd have a Detroit Tigers lid on his head. I forgot about the Tigers hat, but I always remembered watching Magnum thwart the bad guys and usually end up with the lady (who were extremely hot in the 80's, but 20 years later they seem a bit old fashioned). What more could be asked for in a hero? Well, when I got to college, for some odd reason, 2 or 3 stations started carrying Magnum PI re-runs during the morning and afternoon. Over the course of about a year, I watched probably %90 of the series, and again learned of Thomas Magnum's love for the Tigers. Since Magnum was one of my heroes, I like to support who he supported, and that would be the Tigers. So I've been a bit of a closet Tigers fan for the last 4 or 5 years. Not so much to where I cheer outloud for them, but where I always hope they do well.

So this leaves me in the conundrum of who to cheer for. I'll have to jolt the tv show, and go for the team I was actually on. I'm liking the Cardinals. I guess, unless the Tigers win.

Now for the college football. What a great weekend. I'm sure there are all types of great match-ups this weekend. The most important, and pretty much the only one I care about though is Texas @ Texas Tech. Sure I want Baylor to beat the hell out of A&M, but I've got my priorities in order. That's a distant second to Tech throwing down on the Horns.

This series reminds me of the college days. These were the big weekends that we more often than not came out happy. Once a year, we either play Texas at Jones SBC (AT&T) stadium, or we play A&M. We beat A&M every year at home while I was a student at Tech, and beat Texas at least once in that time. The memories of these weekends will always be held close to heart. One year there was the fight Justin got in with the fence. The same year there were lights out in the kitchen at Charlie's house. There was the 45 minute drive home, that should have taken about 5. We hauled the RV one year and partied it up next to the stadium. Just an all around awesome time.

This year I hope for Tech to win. If that's not possible though, at least put up a good fight. It's tough to come into Jones stadium and win, so we need to light up the scoreboard. Oh the days...

Monday night, Cullen and the Vikings play against the Patriots on Monday Night Football. It's still cool to see one of the best friends I've ever had out there playing on such a grand stage. The Vikings are hardly predictable this year. Some games they'll play lights out, and look like the best team in the league. Other games, they just let is slip away from them. I'll be interested to see which Vikings team shows up Monday. Hopefully the one that won the first few games, and looked impressive in doing so.

Oh yeah, and the Spurs are playing the Mavs tonight...Pre-season basketball. Almost as boring as watching paint dry.


Hope I didn't bore you folks too much with the sports, but it's what's on my mind. Well it's all that's on my mind that I care to share! Have a great weekend...

go Cards...
GO TECH...
Go Vikes...

Go Spurs Go!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home