Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Feeling My Age

The wheezing, hacking, and groans of discomfort everyone heard this morning were more than likely coming from my direction. Yesterday, we got a big basketball game going here at camp. I love basketball, probably my all time favorite sport to play. Well, we played for a little more than two hours. Great exercise and a great time had by all.

I like to joke a lot about being old. I'm only 25 though, and realize that I'm still a young buck. The green pastures of older life are far far away from me at this point. This morning though, is one of the first times I've felt old though. When I was a junior in High School, I twisted my ankle somewhat bad, but never went to the doctor. I just had a few visits with the trainer at the High School and declared myself ready to go about a week later.

After that, I stayed pretty active for the next few years, and it never bothered me again. Now though, that I'm a little older, a little fatter, and there's so much time between physical activities. I can hardly walk the morning after. So there I was this morning, waking up to take a shower and come to work. One foot on the ground, two feet on the ground, stand up....sit down....

It took about 10 minutes to stretch it out and apply weight to it. Eventually I got up, and on with my day. I can call it a reminder of my young days I guess. I know a lot of people who've had surgeries and can now predict the weather a few days in advance. My Grandmother was one that could do that. I always thought she was a little crazy for saying that since her hip hurt, that meant a change was coming, but 9 times out of 10 she was right.

The cold weather also zapped me last night. When I walked outside, I was wheezing like I'd just smoked a pack of reds. I don't believe I've ever even smoked a whole cigarette in my life. Would have thought so last night.

So complain complain complain, I'm getting older..blah blah blah. I did play pretty well yesterday though. So it was fun. I was never a stud in basketball, and still don't claim to be. I'd like to continue a weekly, or bi-weekly game. Not only would it keep me busy, but it'd also be a form of exercise. The good kind, where you don't really think of it as being healthy....

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You aren't that old Sanch! I already miss you!! Come visit me in Austin SOON!!!!!! Merry Christmas!

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home