Monday, April 10, 2006

Off the Face of the Earth!

One of my resolutions this year was to do a better job at keeping in touch with friends from the past, and friends that I have now. I've done somewhat of a decent job, well until a few weeks ago when we started getting pretty busy at work, and have since then gone a little lax. I can't explain why I am the way I am. It seems as if though I've got those 4 or 5 friends that I talk to nearly every day, then those that I should talk to at least weekly. I don't though. I'm bad about calling people back, and I'm bad about calling people first. I talked to my Mom tonight for the first time in about 2 months probably. There's more there than me just being bad about calling people, but I feel bad about it afterwards. Well with her, most of the time. There are some times when I don't think I should call back for another two months. Like I said earlier though, there's more behind that.

I don't know if I'd call myself moody, or what. Probably not that, but maybe a little anti-social, or introverted. Which is weird with the job I have, because I'm basically paid to communicate. Which I feel I do a pretty good job with. Anyway, for those of you who feel that I've just fallen off the face of the earth, I haven't. I'm still here, around somewhere.

Saturday night I went to a wedding shower for some friends in Hunt. It was a pretty cool deal because they had it out at Crider's. Which is an outdoor dancehall about 5 miles outside of Hunt. Well there were a bunch of us young folk (If I can still call myself that) there. Then there were some older folks. Mostly the parental units of the young folk, but a few others here and there. I struck up a conversation with a man who I've known since I was probably 5 or so. He was a baseball coach of mine in little league, and I played baseball with his son until my Junior year of High School. He used to work with one of the electric companies here in town, but retired a few years ago to be a foreman at a ranch about 45 minutes to an hour southwest of here.

We got to talking about how he likes being that far away, and he said a lot of things that made me think. He works and lives out there 7 days a week. He rarely comes into town. I asked him how the transition was from what he used to do, to what he's doing now, and he said that it's his dream job. He says that out there, he just wants to forget English and enjoy the company of one. He said he's not the kind of person that likes to be around large crowds, and he enjoys being able to walk outside and not have to worry about running into any problems he can't fix. It seems that what one person sees as introverted is actually another man's perfect life. You'll never find a more sincere and all around nice man, so I don't think it's introverted.

I think I'm somewhere between those two types of people. I like to go out, but I don't need to. I like to stay at home and read or do something interesting by myself, but I don't need to do that. I like to go out on the weekends, and if some nights I don't feel like it, I like to stay at home and read my book. The funny thing, is that I usually don't know what the heck I want to do until maybe an hour before. By that time, I'm usually already committed to whatever is going on.

Anyway, nothing deep here tonight, just a little self-reflection brought on by a conversation with one of the good ole' boys that indirectly played a part in me growing up. It's ironic that a conversation with someone who thinks of himself as a lone wolf makes me want to get out and talk to more folks like him. Then at the same time, makes me admire the way that he's chosen to do things and wonder if I'll be that way in the future.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home