Wednesday, August 10, 2005

A late flood

Here at the Vista office, it is as usual quiet. It seems that once the war canoe race is over, that things die down pretty quick. Justin and I had about a weeks worth of stuff to do. All of that could have been easily compacted into 2 days or so, but we figured why not make a week out of it. It was either that, or work for 2 days non-stop and afterwards sit in the office for the rest of the week and play on the internet. Which brings me to what I'm doing right now. This morning I worked on some earlibird paperwork. We had 277 earlibirds. I'm not sure about what the numbers have been in years past, but I definitely think that 277 is a sign of a good staff. I keep telling myself that this 2005 staff is the best ever. That may be true, the 2001 staff will be hard to top though. It's just great to get a crew of counselors that loves camp so much and wants it to succeed. In the past I know we've had people here who were more worried about their own agendas than the well being of the kids. I don't feel that was the case this year at all. Don't get me wrong, we most definitely had our problems here and there. The burn out of the 6th and 7th week hits everyone hard. I think the morale was high enough on the whole to cancel out the little bits of bad attitude that popped up.

So like I said earlier, after camp, a week of work, and playing on the Internet. That brings me to right now! Playing on the internet. This was the first summer in a while that we made it the entire summer without a flood. Last night around 10, the weather started to get a little crazy. A lot of thunder and lightening. My electricity flashed 2 or 3 times. That put a small damper on my reading. I read an entire book last night. It took about 2 and a half hours, but now that camp is over, I have nothing better to do. I really enjoy John Grisham books, usually they are all about lawyers and things of that sort. Those things interest me because of my Dad's profession. He has a few other books that aren't about law though. One of which was A Painted House, which I absolutely loved. The other is the one I read last night Bleachers. It was one of those that once you pick it up, you can't really let go of it. It wasn't anything too exciting, just extremely well written, at least in my mind at least.

So getting back to the storm last night. (I hate how I get sidetracked like that). The thunder and lightening persisted all night pretty much. I haven't been sleeping much since camp finished. I think part of it is because I am not out and about 15-18 hours a day anymore. I think another part is that its just now hitting me that I lost the most dear thing in my life while I was busy at camp. I finally got to sleep sometime around 2. When I woke up at 6, it was still raining. I didn't know how much though, I just figured it had been off and on all night. Being that we live in a trashed out house, I had to get up early and turn on the hotwater heater before my shower. I slipped back in bed for another hour or so, and when I got up, it was light outside and I could see that Henderson Branch was up a bit. Henderson Branch is that puddle that runs along side my house, and splits our property into two pieces. After showering, and getting dressed, I headed here to camp, and for some odd reason, decided to take the backroad to get here. I usually take the front road out of pure laziness, but I was up a little earlier, so I figured why not. When I got around to the front road, I saw the Low Water Crossing was up quite a bit from where it was the day before. I probably could have still made it, but I'm glad I decided not to try it. With my luck, my truck would stop in the middle of it!

Once in the office, the rain picked up a bit, and while I was neck deep in earlibird stuff, Justin commented how the river got muddy fast. So when I looked I was surprised to already see loads of tree clippings and dropping heading down the river. I love it when it floods, it means that we've been getting some good rain, but some of the stuff that comes down the river in a big flood makes you wonder about who lives directly upstream. I remember I time a few years ago when a friend of mine sat outside his house and tried to rope deer, cows and cats out of the river. Crazy stuff. Wish I would have been there to see it. (I think they all survived).

Again, coming back to where I am right now, it looks like the rain has stopped and the wind is carrying the surface of the water back upstream. Guess that's all we get. It was a good thrill though.

Seeing as how I'm the only one who reads this, I guess I'll talk to me soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home