Thursday, September 29, 2005

LBK to DFW to the ATL

Well I arrived in Atlanta about 30 minutes late tonight. Everything is pretty dark so I don't know what to think of the place yet. It doesn't seem all that bad, it's big, but everything is pretty spread out. It's funny how I stick out like a sore thumb in a lot of places. I don't know if it is just my crocs, or maybe the fact that I'm from a different lifestyle than those I'm around here. It's a lifestyle I'd like to learn to embrace, but I'm coming to realize that my backwoods streak might be a little wider than I thought. No worries though.

I had an interesting talk on the way here with a guy on the plane. Which by the way, coming into ATL was the worst landing ever. It was so rough! Anyway, I had my RV (RIO VISTA) hat on and he asked what it meant. This guy was probably in his mid 50's, seemed to be a nice guy. So I told him about camp, and gave him a lot of the information about it. He was telling me about a camp in Washington State where he used to go to when he was like 12. He said it was around Puget Sound, and they would boat from island to island and do camp outs and things. He also told me about all the responsibilities that they had as campers. Like setting up the camp site, making the fire, cleaning up afterwards. Not too far from what we do, but a lot more for the kids to do. I know it's probably obvious to most, but it made me think about how easy we had it as kids, and now how much easier the kids growing up have it. I can't say that I've ever really roughed it. I mean a few times out at the ranch the pressure pump would go out, or it would freeze up, or just all together break, and we'd have to come into town to shower and do all that jazz for the day. We'd also have to use the bathroom outside, but heck, that's what men like to do anyway. The stories this guy was telling me were really interesting, and made me wish that maybe I'd grown up a little more like him. Or that we could teach the kids more things that we are. You can't really just throw 2 tons of responsibility in a kids lap, but it could definitely be a progressive thing. There's so much that can be learned from doing small things. Like having them set up the campsite not only teaches them how to set a campsite up, but also gives them that responsibility, and then afterwards the feeling of accomplishment for actually putting their sweat into it. Oh well, anyway, just a thought. Something I wish I would have had more of!

Well there is a one hour difference between here and TEXAS, so I guess I'll stay up one hour later. It sucks that I can't sleep some nights. I've got about 150 DVD's to choose from, so I might grab one and try to drift off to dreamland a little earlier.

Besides not seeing my sister in more than a year and a half (which it's great to be here), I'll also get to watch my first NFL game this weekend! I may have covered that in a previous post. It's even more of a bonus to see on of your great friends playing in an actual NFL game! I'm really pumped about that. It was crazy enough to see him play in the various stadiums throughout the BIG XII, but now it's in the Georgia Dome! Truly amazing what my friends can accomplish. Regardless though, the reason I'm here is to spend time with my Sister, and I'm grateful for that. I'm looking forward to the next few days. The thing with me, is that I don't have to be entertained, I can just sit around and talk. Which is what we did tonight, and it's very entertaining, and proves to be a wonderful time. I'm really looking forward to getting to know my brother-in-law a little better on this trip too. I always get the feeling that maybe he thinks I'm a little different. Mainly because I am a lot different from what he's used to. I always have a good time hanging around with him though....

Well until later!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home