Sunday, October 09, 2005

18 Innings and nearly 6 hours of fun

Eighteen innings. I was upset because I missed the first few innings for a shower and lunch. I guess I'll be okay, only getting to watch 15 innings instead of all 18. I was worried there for a while because the 'Stros didn't have anyone left on their bench other than Oswalt and Pettitte. Not even a just in case player. It was all or nothing, if one of the fielders had been hurt, Roy Oswalt would have been playing the field.

I've heard of leaving it all on the field, but I don't know if I've ever seen it on such a large scale as this game. It was wonderful to see Roger Clemens, in his early 40's, tossing much younger players on his shoulders and celebrating like the 'Stros just won their first World Series. Chris Burke was the unlikely hero of the day, and for now the entire Astro season. Think about it though, the only real big names left in the game for Houston were Biggio and Morgan Ensberg. So while Burke's heroics seem unlikely, who else could it have been?

I love to see the team celebrating. It's a huge accomplishment to make it this far. There is a sign behind homeplate in every game that says 8 teams, 1 championship. Well Wednesday, it'll be down to 4 teams, still one championship. The next series will be interesting to watch. The Cardinals have a far superior line up, and are the only team with a better starter's ERA than the 'Stros. We've got Pettitte, Clemens, and Oswalt though. I'll take those three over anyone in MLB. I'd say the Astros have their work cut out for them. So enjoy the celebration tonight team, get busy on Wednesday, and bring the NL pennant, and later the World Series championship back to Houston!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home