Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Resolutions and such

I had a wonderful time this past weekend. New Years was an unbelievable party out at the YO Ranch. I didn't go to sleep until some time around 5:45 in the morning. Just a good time had by all. I don't like to go into my drunken exploits on here, but let me just say that I can't decide if I like Maker's Mark, or Crown Royal better. It's somewhat of an embarrassment of riches, I kept trying to decide between the two, and by the end of the contest, I could have been drinking Texas Pride and not known the difference!

The next day was a top 5 hangover! That's saying a lot...The stomach wasn't so much hurting, but my head felt like Hiroshima. We got back into the big city around 10 or so and a group of us met up for lunch/breakfast. Afterwards, I went home showered, packed my bags, and a few of us hit the road to Dallas for the Cotton Bowl.

I started feeling better around 4 in the afternoon. Light music and quiet conversation eventually lifted the haze out of my head, and I was back to myself again. So much so, that I decided that I'd do a portion of the driving, through Ft. Worth and Dallas.

This country boy isn't big on driving in big cities. I don't have a problem with San Antonio or Austin. There, all you have to know is 3 or 4 main highways, and you're golden. Dallas though, is just one big interstate after another, and the drivers are friggin' crazy. There were several times that I was sure the little rice-burner in front of me was going to cause a 20 car pile up because it was in such a hurry to get wherever they were going...

Enough of that. Dallas is a great city. Has everything you need and more! Maybe someday, I'll end up there, but only time will tell.

The Cotton Bowl was amazing. Not so much the stadium, but it was a good game. Extremely boring, but a good game. The saying that Defense wins championships was proven once again. Alabama beat us on a last second field goal, and held our excellent offense to 10 points. That doesn't hardly ever happen. I feel we were one big play away from winning, both teams were. Being the high powered, explosive offense though, I thought we'd at least have one or two of the big plays. Well, there weren't' any. No turnovers, none of that. The field goal to win it was the ugliest kick I've ever seen, looked like a duck that had just been shot out of the air. Wobbly, low, and no chance of going in...Well that's what everyone around me thought, actually everyone in the entire stadium that was there to support Texas Tech. The cheers were so loud after we thought he missed...Then the referee put his arms up, and said it was good. The stadium went from one side being extremely loud, and the other quiet, to a reversal. The quiet side being loud, and the loud side being speechless...Great game though!

One thing I'd like to comment on, is how funny the cheer was that 'Bama did at the end of the game. It went something like...

Hey Raiders
We just beat the hell out of you...

Something like that, I don't remember the whole thing, but I thought it was hilarious. The fans around me didn't like it, but we did just get beat, and for crying out loud, we are Texas Tech, notorious for being poor sports! I wish we could come up with some cheer like that...

The only thing is they didn't really beat the hell out of us...

Imagine this, Texas Tech's offense, with Alabama's defense. All on one team! Wow, can you say National Championship? Well maybe instead, it would be the University of Texas.



Just a quick comment on my resolutions. I try to set them every year, and usually they last all of a couple of weeks. I hope that these two work out for me...

1) Lose Weight! I'm not wanting to become anything super flaco, but enough to get the confidence going for me, and to be able to do physical activities! I'm not saying I'm not confident, because anyone who knows me, knows that I can be cocky at times, but it's amazing how much better one feels after working out, or losing a certain amount of weight.

2) Keep in better touch with people. I need to get out of the Anti-Social mode I sometimes find myself in, and start to keep in touch with friends that I've made in the past few years. Mainly camp friends, and college friends. There are several High School friends that this goes for as well, but my Dad always told me that I'd meet my best friends in college, and with a few exceptions, that may be true.

Happy New Years everyone!

Oh yeah, Gus has been biting a lot lately. This morning, he drew blood. Little ornery punk!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good resolutions Sanch! I think those are resoluations we can all work on. Sorry we didn't get to hang out more in the big D. Bummer that none of us knew how to get around in that city. Talk to ya soon! :)

7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmmm...no talkin to you til you learn how to call and be a GOOOOD friend....im signin on anonymous today, bukarooo...pfff to you!

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home