Sunday, November 12, 2006

Bad day for the state...

It's Sunday morning, and what was supposed to be a great weekend for Texas College football turned out to be just the opposite. None of the Texan Big XII teams won, and to make matters worse (other than Baylor) all lost in nail biters.

It all started with A&M. Like I've said on here before I'm not the biggest Aggie fan. However, I don't know if it's because my love for the state of Texas, or the fact that I was raised to be an Aggie (that one didn't work out), I was rooting for them yesterday. It was tough though. The traditions at the school are top notch. I wish Tech had a 10th of the tradition that A&M has. Just a 10th though, no more than that because anything on top of that is overkill. I'll probably be stoned to death next time I run into an aggie (if anyone cares what I think) for saying some of these things, but that'll just prove my point. I understand that the core is good in its own ways. It helps pay for a lot of kids colleges, but like Mike Leach says, why do they get to have a fake army. He said several years ago that if A&M can have a fake army, then he wants to open his own pirate school. I'll be one of the first in line for that one...

Anyway, while watching the game there were 2 things that made me very thankful I'm not an Aggie. First off, the core? Why do those guys get to go on the field with the swords and their little hats? Again, I'm not ditching the idea of the core, just some of the members. By the time they'd showed the 50th pimple faced core turd acting a fool for the camera, I knew I had to say something about it. My Dad, being the Aggie he is, didn't like what I had to say. Oh well. Secondly, a Collie? I know there is all kinds of traditions involved with Revelie, but why didn't they pick a meaner looking dog. Collies are pretty, and extremely intelligent, but they don't really strike fear into the heart of other schools. Get a pit bull, and call it Killer. Sick it on any Red Raider or Longhorn that gets to close. That'd be a good mascot.

Speaking of the Red Raiders. We have no shortage of the same kind of people that A&M has, they just don't dress up in their army regalia. They just bring tortillas and sock people in the face with them. That was such a neat thing the first time I saw it. Until I got hit by one of the things. I remember one time against Texas, I was sitting right behind Cory Redding's dad and he got clocked by one of the flying saucers. He turned around and looked at me and I wasn't real sure what to do. I had my Tech gear on, so I just turned around and looked back where the tortilla came from. I think he got the message that it wasn't me, and I felt like walking out of there alive...

Tech lost to Oklahoma yesterday. The offense decided to take the 2nd half off. Actually if it weren't for the defense it wouldn't have been anywhere as close as it was. Who would have thought that the defense would be the high point? Oh well, here we come Houston bowl, or some other big bowl like that. I guess I should be grateful though. There are those teams that would give their right eye to go to a bowl. I just expected more.

Then there was Texas. I was raised to hate Texas. I was supposed to bleed maroon. I saw the light eventually though, and while I can't claim to be a huge fan I cheer for them when they aren't playing Tech. A lot of that is due to being a Texas team, and a lot is due to Cullen playing for them for 5 years. Texas had their shot at a second national title taken from them by Kansas State. I was already a little footballed out by the time that game came on, but I still watched a good deal of it. They just got outplayed. I hope we don't have K-State next year.

Then Baylor got rolled by Okie State. Just a bad all around day for the Texas Big XII teams. There's always next year I guess. I think I'm cheering for Arkansas now to win it all. They're impressive. Now that I jump on that bandwagon, I'm sure they'll lose too.

Have a good Sunday, hopefully the Vikings can make this weekend a tad better...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home