Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Clueless

Growing up, when people asked me what I wanted to be in the future I told them several different things. I wanted to be a baseball player, I was going to hit home runs for the Astros. I wanted to be a vet also, I loved (still do) animals, and wanted to do my best at helping them. I wanted to be a lawyer, I don't remember exactly what I wanted to do with this one, but it had to do with following the in the footsteps of the Father.

The baseball dream faded when I realized that at the age of 14 I hit a plateau and probably wasn't going to get all that much better. The vet dream hit the skids when I realized there was so much more to it than just fixing the animals up. It involves shots, amputations, and sometimes even putting them out of their misery. The lawyer dream, well it cast aside after the 1,000,000th lawyer joke I heard, and all the crud my Dad has to put up with from time to time.

Another thing that I sometimes said I wanted to be was a judge. This again was following in the footsteps of my Dad. He was County judge for 4 years, and I always saw it as a neat job to have. I actually thought about this one for a long while, even the first year or so I was in college. I didn't want to go and get a law degree though. Seeing as how most judges are, or were lawyers before they take the bench.

To get to my point here, in the last few years I've realized how little I know about politics. I'm sure local politics are a bit different but, on a more grand stage, I'm clueless in a lot of the topics that are at issue. That probably hasn't stopped some people from running for office anyway, but I just know a cog would be thrown into my gears when someone asks me a question that I have no idea about.

I've been watching this election pretty close. Not because I know a lot about it, or not because I think it'll be the end of the world if the democrats take control of the house and the senate. Mostly because little by little I'd like to learn a lot more about it. Local races interest me because I know the majority of the candidates from around here. A few of the US Representative races interest me because of all the redistricting, and also I have a friend working for one of the campaigns.

While watching the San Antonio news tonight, they had a lady on who was running for some office, I wasn't really paying all that much attention. Anyway, they asked her a question, and all she said was, I'm for education. She didn't back it up, she didn't say what new education policies she supported, I'm for education was it. I hope she doesn't get elected. That may sound hateful, and it may of been a bad soundbyte that the news picked, but my goodness, say something better than just that! Sheesh...I'm for education too though I guess...

Clueless, that just proves my title. I say I'm for education, but couldn't tell you what I think would improve the system. Sure I have ideas, but they are probably stone aged, and have already been tried. Maybe someday though.

Changing the subject, kind of, I had an interesting conversation on the way to a camp showing the other day. It was over the current students in one of our high schools and their lifestyles. It blows my mind what these kids say and do now. I know when my class graduated in '99 we were by no means perfect, but we had respect for our elders, and knew the importance of a good education and staying out of trouble. Kids these days don't though. I wonder if things will continue getting worse, or if it's a cycle and eventually things will get back to the way they were.


Changing the subject once again. I had a good afternoon. I went out to the ranch with my Dad and Chuck to meet our hunters and shoot some clays. I hadn't been out there in months, probably in 6 months or so. Shooting clays was fun. I did decent, I didn't miss with the over unders, but had some misses with the single shot 20 gauge. I took Gus out there with me. It was only the 3rd time he's been shot around, and I was afraid he'd be gun shy since it'd been so long. Instead of that though, he decided he would go out and retrieve the clay pidgeons for us. It was funny the first few times. We stopped him though, because surely having those things in his mouth aren't good for him.

When we were leaving though, we got out of the truck and walked to the spot where my Dad wants to build the house. I was pleasantly surprised that he pretty much had the layout all planned out in his mind. I would rather the house be in a different location, not that his is bad, I just think this other place is pretty sweet. I can't argue with his justification of his spot though. Where I want it, there's a chance we could get flooded in. So it's not the best idea. It was nice to stand out there and talk about it, and somewhat have a self vision of what might be one day. I'm sure with the three of us there, we all had a different picture in our heads, but the layout was the same. I'm just ready for it to happen!

That's all for now. Not too terribly much to update with lately! Hope all is well with everyone!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You talked about all of the things you used to want to do.. but where are you headed now? What is your current dream? Facebook message me b/c I would love to hear about it.

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home