Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Go Astros

I can't complain. As much as I want to say that I'm not happy right now, I can't say it. Am I disappointed? Yes, I wish that the Astros would have showed up in the World Series. I wish that they would have won at least one game. I wish that the bats would have been able to support the pitching. I wish a lot of stuff. There's a saying that is relevant to me wishing all this stuff. I think it goes something like you can wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which one fills up first.

I can't complain though. There are 22 teams that would have loved to make it to the playoffs. There are 26 teams that would have liked to make it to the League Championship Series. There are also 28 other teams that would give anything to make it to the World Series.

I'm glad to see that Biggio, Bagwell, and Ausmus made it to a World Series. I would love to see them with a ring on their finger. However, it's a great accomplishment that the 'Stros won the National League. Everyone will know that a large reason that the 2005 National League Championship banner is hanging on the wall in Houston is Bagwell and Biggio. I'm not just talking about their contributions this year, I'm talking about their entire careers in Houston.

It was 4 close games, and any of them could have gone the other way. People will look back on this World Series and see a 4-0 sweep of Houston by the White Sox. I think if they'll look closer though, it was a much better series than it looks at first glance. I'm not just saying that because I'm a homer, I'm saying that because I truly feel that way. If the Astros could have had a clutch hit here and there, I wouldn't be writing this right now. I'd be looking forward to game 5, or perhaps be celebrating an Astros victory.

So yeah, I'm disappointed. I'm a little frustrated that the 'Stros couldn't get that hit with runners in scoring position to put them over the top. Disappointment and frustration eventually fade away though. When I look back at this season for the years to come, I won't think of it as a failure, I'll think of it as the best season in Astros history, and I as a fan feel lucky to have been a part of it. I don't know where I'll be in the future, but I'll hold on to this piece of the past for the rest of my life, or at least 'till the 'Stros win one! Let's hope it doesn't take them another 44 years to get back to this point!

I'll patiently wait for the start of spring training. Hopefully the time between then and now will see the Astros sign a starter that can replace Clemens (if he leaves). I'd like to see Brian Giles playing one of the outfield positions in Houston next year too.

Until then, GO SPURS.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home