Thursday, October 20, 2005

World Series Bound

Well, things are a little better now than they were when last we met. I no longer have to shoulder the blame for the game 5 blast by Pujols. I can feel like all the other happy Astro fans and celebrate the team's first trip to the big series! I can also watch ESPN again without having to see Pujols' moon shot. All I have to say about game 6 is wow, Oswalt is quite possibly the best pitcher on our team. I've thought that before, but it's hard to ignore the numbers that the Rocket and Pettitte have. No question about who I want on the mound from now on though. I like that we have the wizard (The Wizard of OSwalt, funny huh) on the mound for game three, and really like that if needs be, he'll be there for game 7. I really hope it doesn't go 7 games though. Four or five would be great with me, because that means that the Astros would win it at home. I think Houston deserves that.

I could definitely feel the difference between a road game, and a home game while I was sitting there watching. It really shouldn't matter that much to the television spectator, the Houstonians really had me going in game 5. One of the Fox announcers said that Minute Maid Field was BY FAR the loudest stadium in MLB. I don't know if he meant that or not. I mean, it could be the loudest ever, or the current loudest. In the case of the current loudness, well duh, its the only field with people in it. So I'm going to assume he means loudest he's EVER heard. How's that for a mid-market team? Can we call the Astros that anymore? They aren't spending near as much as the Yankees, actually almost a third (that makes Astro fans feel good). Goes to show that money can't buy chemistry.

The question of momentum was brought up several times during Fox's broadcast of the NLCS. I was at one time a huge believer of momentum, now though, I'm not so sure its even a factor in Major League Baseball. If there are believers out there, then game 6 should make that belief an after thought.

I hadn't really planned on this becoming a sports themed blog. It seems to have become exactly that here lately though. So after the world series, I'll tone down on the sports.

One thing that I have to truthfully say though, is that I wish we would have played anyone but the Cardinals. They are such a class organization, with great players. I think that the Astros and the Cardinals really mirror each other in a lot of aspects. Why couldn't it have been the Mets, or the Braves (oh yeah, we beat them too). I would have no doubtedly cheered for the Cards had they beaten the Astros. On the other side of things though, it's great to have two class organizations getting this far.

This has got to be a bittersweet feeling for Jeff Bagwell. Finally making it to the World Series, but not feeling like he had a big part in it. Well I say phooey on that! I think the leadership he brings to the team, and the motivation factor that he brings are an excellent input for the Astros. I hope he's able to enjoy the Series, and hopefully contribute somehow. I don't know if I would put him in at the DH when they are playing in Chicago or not, I think Lamb has really been playing well and might be a good fit. However, I don't think there's a more emotional choice than Baggy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home