Monday, September 04, 2006

Pura Vida

Well, I made it without incident. Here in Costa Rica, and at the school for my first day of classes. Yesterday was an extremely long day. I woke up at 3:00, left Kerrville at 4:00, and was at the airport a little after 5:00. They say you are supposed to be at the airport at least 2 hours before international flights. I say BS to that. I got there 2 hours prior to my flight, and ended up sitting in the terminal for an hour and a half. The flight from San Antonio to Houston took about 35 minutes. We were supposed to leave there at 9:20 but ended up getting delayed until almost 11.

They had the televisions on in the terminal in Houston. It was on the news, and of course everything that they were showing before I hopped on the plane was about terrorism, and the 9/11 anniversary coming up. That sure makes me feel a lot better.

I was so tired on the flight that I couldn't really sleep. It was in a daze for the majority of the flight. I read my little situational spanish book for the majority of the trip, but kept forgetting what exactly I was supposed to say to the taxi driver. Luckily though, my skin and bones espanol was enough!

Addresses in Costa Rica are different. Instead of it being this number on this street in this city, they start you off on a place where most everyone knows. For example, the place I am staying is in the neighborhood of Los Yoses. Once you get to Los Yoses you go to el Automercado, then go 100 meters south, then 20 meters west, to a yellow house. I figured there'd be know way that my cab driver could get me there, but sure enough, he knew exactly where to go. I probably shouldn't second guess the system if it's worked for this long.

I requested a homestay that was within walking distance from the school. As we were making the 100 meters south from the Automercado, we passed it. So it's within a couple of minutes walk from the place I'm staying. The family seems to be real nice. They speak NO english, but that's what this immersion thing is all about. The food has been really good so far. This morning we had a bunch of fresh fruit, some of which I've never seen or heard of.

So here I am. Just wanted to write and let everyone know what's going on. I hope you are all enjoying your holiday. I'll be able to update pretty regularly, so be looking for it!

Adios

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you made it safe and sound to Costa Rica!! :)

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home