Sunday, November 06, 2005

Messy House = Great Friends

There is an old saying that goes something like, "I'm glad to clean up the mess after a party, because it means that I was having a good time with my friends." Well, that seems to be a true statement, but I don't think whoever said that had as messy of friends as I've got. I'm not sure I've ever done more dishes than I did this afternoon, and in what can best be described as a group effort, the house is just about as clean as it was Wednesday before people started showing up.

What a weekend though. It kind of made me forget about being the "old man" up here. A few older friends came into town, and we had a blast. We went out Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Friday we had a little shindig here at the house. Thursday night was probably the most fun night that I've had since I've been back up here. There wasn't really just one thing made it fun, it was more like everything. There were 9 of us when we started out at Rocky LaRues, and more and more friends came later. By the end of the night, we owned the dance floor, and the better part of the front half of the bar. I won't go into the all of the debauchery that went on, but it sure did remind me of Crider's back in the day. When the group of us that hung out in high school would come back from college for the summer. We'd start out at Cullen's house, go to Crider's, then go back to Cullen's house. Crazy fun nights....

Speaking of those High School friends, I ran into one on Thursday night. She goes to Law School up here. We were really good friends our Senior year of High School, and kept in pretty close contact during our freshman year of college. Since then though, we haven't really kept up, or spent a lot of time together. I feel bad because she goes to school up here, and we were so close, but we don't ever communicate with each other. Well we talked about this for a while the other night, and she was telling me how she can't figure out how our group of friends in high school could have been so close at that point, but now, hardly ever talk. She also said that she doesn't understand why some of us are such good friends with people from Kerrville, or those from Ingram who graduated after we did. Reading that, it probably sounds much worse than it actually was. She wasn't mad or anything, she was just making the point that several of us keep in better contact with the younger folks than we do with each other.

The best answer that I could give to her is that she and I (and our group of friends in H.S.) grew up together. The group of friends that we have now, we also grew up together, but with these newer friends, we gained our independence and the identities that we now carry. I'm not trying to get all deep here, but I think it's a legit claim. I mean, in High School, we stuck with a lot of the people who were like us. People who played the same sports, or had the same classes or interests that we had. From a small High School, to a huge college, there are tons more people out there to meet. You don't ever really forget about your past friends, but you meet so many more people that those High School friends that you had then, become one of the many friends you have now. I also told her a lot of it has to do with who you are close to. After leaving H.S. we all dispersed to different places around the state. So naturally, we become friends with those that are there with us. I guess she understood that point, but it looked like she was about to shed a tear, so the best answer I could give her at the time was, I really don't know. That, followed by a quick, I gotta go to the bathroom.

Way to go Sancho, get yourself out of that uncomfortable situation! I think the subject merits a lot of thought though...

I think another thing that bothers her is that several of us from that High School class have remained really close. We don't talk all the time, but enough to always know what's going on in each others lives. I don't think she has that with anyone from the past. I think I may have made her feel a little better when I told her that we don't always have to talk, but we both know that if either one of us needed something, we wouldn't hesitate to ask the other. Its hard to explain all of these friendship conundrums. I don't imagine anyone knows all the answers.


On a completely unrelated note, let me say something about the ninjas. Yes, I know I'm about to turn 25, and most 25 year olds aren't ninjas, but it's gags like that that keep the mind and soul young. So there may be more sweet ninja rolls (or roles) on the way....

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for a FABULOUS weekend! I already miss ya!

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home